Saturday 5 October 2013

Light painting - Parabolas


I have recently started exploring the weird and wonderful world of "trick photography".  Here using simple tricks and sometimes a bit of post editing you can create some fascinating images.  I guess light painting is a type of trick photography but is really a category on its own.  My first attempt at light painting was using a torch, a piece of string and a pin to produce light parabolas.

All the equipment you need.
Note the torch in this photo is not the one I used, I using a single bulb maglite 

After hanging the torch from the ceiling with the string I set up my camera on the floor facing straight up.  I turned off all the lights (apart from the torch) and swung the torch.  I waited a few seconds to allow the torch to settle into a constant swing and then I began the exposure.  This is what happened as a result:




Like with most things I try in life my first few attempts were crap.  I tried again but this time I swung the torch much harder and this is what happened.

Getting there...

Nearly...

Almost

Perfect!
After a few attempts I nailed the perfect parabolas.  I then tried the process again this time with additional coloured lights I usually use for other types of light painting.




Adding some colour




I liked the addition of colour to the parabolas however the coloured lights were not as sharp as the white light.  I think there is a lot more to parabolas light painting and I plan on spending more time on this and to try out new techniques.

Final result.